Friday, October 4, 2013

I Have a Fear of Being Hungry

I always keep snacks in my purse, car, and office desk for these very reasons. My rationale, you never know when you're going to be stuck on an elevator and I lie to you not I think I would just cry in the corner if I got hungry while stuck on the elevator. Okay, but for real, I think I kinda sorta keep food because when I was younger we (my dad & I) didn't have a lot of money. I knew it was a struggle some times for him to feed me, so now it's ingrained in me that food shouldn't go to waste and I appreciate everything I have. Okay, enough of the emo stuff...

I have this mantra I've been repeating to myself recently, "Eat White, Live Right".
Background:
Life expectancy broken down by race
(Women tend to outlive men)
Asian-American 86.9 
Latino 82.8 
Whites 78.9 
Native Americans 76.9 
Blacks 74.6
Whites living in the rural South tend to have similar life expectancy rates as the Blacks in that same area.

The only reason I say "eat White" is because they tend to have the resources to buy healthier foods/be more educated on what's healthy and what's not. I recently saw this article about the worlds oldest people, who was on the list you ask? Asians in various countries, Whites, and 2 Black people out of a list of 10. As a kid I remember eating corn and broccoli WITH cheese, I hated string beans and anything else, now as an adult I still see Blacks my age eating this same way. We have to do better. So I've been incorporating other foods into my lifestyle when I noticed other longer living races ate it: greek yogurt (my White grad school classmates always ate this stuff), raw veggies as snacks (cut up peppers), and etc. Recently I have been tearing up, do you hear me, TEARING UP, roasted seasoned seaweed. SEAWEED??? Yes seaweed, it honestly tastes like pork rinds to me, try not to judge my entire life off of that, but it really does. It's loaded in vitamins A, K, and low in calories. I also heard on Dr. Oz that it's good for memory, which is why I initially purchased some. Next up, green tea sans the sugar. I'll make a nice (free) cup of green tea every morning when I get to work. So many health benefits and it seems to curve my appetite as well, apparently there's some inconclusive data on weight loss related to green tea.




So basically, this is just a reminder to try foods from different cultures, eat more than what you're used to, train your palette to like things with less sugar and you'll be surprised by what you end up enjoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment