Saturday, February 22, 2014

Thanks to Social Media and the Internet...

DOMESTICATED

...I made some fabulous food this week. I came up with these recipes thanks to stalking someone's Instagram and then putting my own twist to it and thanks to boredom at work and going through a bazillion Buzzfeed articles centered around food.

First there were sriracha wings, collard/kale greens, and shrimp. The sriracha wings were stolen from IG, I cooked baby wing portions in a pan on the stove on the medium-low heat sprinkled brown sugar on them, added sriracha, and then a little soy for salt. I turned the heat up later for a crisp. I used soy instead of salt to match the Asian sriracha hot sauce. Not to mention Bon Chon has a sriracha, garlic, and soy sauce mix for their wings, so I knew it paired well. The flavor was similar to teriyaki with the spicy and sweet mix. Next, greens, my mom's greens are the best greens I've ever eaten, then Carolina Kitchen is second. I actually bought the greens whole and had to clean them myself for the first time ever. I usually buy them in the bag, but that wasn't available at the store. I cooked my greens in the Crockpot for the first time ever too, for about 6 hours. Seasonings used were garlic, chicken bouillon, soul food seasoning, vinegar, hot sauce,  olive oil, bacon grease, and I used smoked pork. Everybody knows shrimp takes 2 seconds to cook, so I threw that on the stove last with butter, Phillip's seafood seasoning, and garlic and parsley seasoning. 
That same week I made salmon for a salad and seasoned it the same way as my wings...or so I thought, it was a bit more spicy, I presume I was little heavy headed with the sriracha, but it still tasted wonderful. 
My pride and joy is the breakfast spaghetti I made this morning. Again, while at work I read a Buzzfeed article specifically geared towards spaghetti and they had a breakfast spaghetti on there. I've been wanting to make more 1 dish meals instead of compartmentalizing my meals, here's your meat, here's your veggie, here's your other veggie, here's your grain. I was excited to try this and it came out wonderfully. I used whole grain noodles which I cooked al dente, then immediately shocked the noodles in cold water so they would stop cooking. While the noodles cooked, I had the bacon frying (3 slices), I only buy Hormel Black Label bacon, it's expensive but totally worth it, the maple flavor is the best. Once that was done cooking, I set it on a paper towel to drain the grease and let it rest. I then sauteed yellow sweet onions in the bacon greese and when they began to sizzle I threw in a handful of spinach to cook down. I then added the noodles and let them warm up, while chopping 2 slices of the bacon into pieces, I cut the last slice in half. I added some of the fancy cheese I still had from my adult grilled cheeses to the spaghetti mix, and then plated. From there I added 2 fried eggs to rest on top, and sprinkled parmesan cheese, the bacon pieces, and almonds I pulsed the day before for garnish. The half pieces of bacon were laid to the side. As far as seasoning, the only seasoning needed were salt and better for the fried eggs, and salt for the noodles once pulled out of the pan, I also failed to mention that I added bacon grease I have been saving to the noodles once I added them bacon to the onion and spinach mix. And now I present to you, GREATNESS!

P.S. Yesterday my superhero dad came up to fix my car and I finally got to make him my adult grilled cheese I teased him with weeks ago. I made the almond and honey one, hence why I had pulsed almonds laying around. I then made him a buffalo chicken grilled cheese. He was more than a fan, he loved it :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment