Thursday, October 16, 2014

Blue Duck Tavern & Taste of DC

Tuesday, my hair is giving me a major attitude. I was sitting at work willing and ready to curse any and everybody out, all cause when I left my house I had some bomb curls, then I caught myself in the mirror and I magically had a fro. I was beyond pissed, I couldn't even take it. I was so embarrassed when I looked in the mirror, I end up having a different hairstyle cuz I had to pull it into a bun later.

Please believe me when I say, my hair was ABSOLUTELY LAAAAAAAAAIIIIDDDDD this weekend though. Hmph! I blow dried my hair, then 2-strand twisted it into bantus. Make sense? cool. When I blow dry my hair before doing natural styles, it gives me more length (obviously) and makes my hair fluffy, light, and airy. Oh I just love it! I wish I could put that heat to my hair every week, but I did it twice in a row this month, so I won't be doing that again for a while.

So Jamie had a birthday and we went to Blue Duck Tavern in GeorgeTown. It just so happened to be on my 60+ item "Places to Eat" list so I was excited. Of course I perused the menu prior to arriving...and by prior to arriving I mean when she sent out the invite. This is the bone marrow with a parmesan crust. That's a bed of sea salt on the bottom and roasted garlic. I spread the bone marrow on top of the bread and it tasted like gelatonous bacon. It was amazing.


Jamie. Aint she a beaut. That's the apple pie the restaurant is famous for as well, they served it with ice cream. The apples were clearly fresh because they were a bit tangy.

Sifrina Arepa from Taste of DC. The lady who took my order was impressed by my Spanish, I guess she couldn't tell that I was Dominican ;) I picked the first food item we'd all try and from there we took turns. The majority of us were adventerous eaters, so we had a ball.


Pork and cabbage dumplings. THIS. COLESLAW. WAS. THE. BEST. ISH. EVER! It had an amazing ginger taste to it, the ginger politely overpowered all other flavors.


It's really how funny how small the world actually is. This is my bestfriend from 2nd grade. We went to school together in Fredericksburg and she went to college with my bestfriend from 7th grade, Jamie. Amazing right?

Le crew.

Okay, so let me explain these next few pics that are actually me shouting. So at Taste of DC you use tickets to get drinks, we didn't buy any but by the end of the function we were tipsy. Wherever we walked, black women were just giving us their tickets left and right. That's the plus of coming about halfway into the event too, please are leaving for the first half and trying to get rid of their tickets. So this is my "we got free drinks shout". Please believe I love me some wine.



This chicken was supposed to be for Justyn but the tipsy munchies kicked in.


This wine was at the event and they had it at Total Wine, so Justyn got some for us. I also signed up for their rewards program too :)

Last weekend was Sheena's bday and she had a brunch at A-Town in Arlington, it was a buffet breakfast. Apparently it's illegal in VA to have bottomless brunches, so it wasn't bottomless. They had a wide array of food on the buffet though, sushi, tomato and mozz salad, grilled veggie salad, spiced shrimp (the good big crunchy kind), all the breakfast stuff u could imagine, bacon (the good kind, it tasted like Oscar Meyer, you know most restaurants carry that cheap thin bacon), fried chicken (which was actually seasoned well), an omelette station, and desserts. I ate so much I didn't have room for any other food the rest of the day. Sad.

Got these cheeses from BJ's, I was excited because I had a coupon too.

Looks like I'm making a banana pudding, but it's actually plantain for my no-pasta lasagna.

Meat sauce and fat-free cottage cheese go on next.


Followed by slices of the aged Vermont white cheddar from the Sargento Tastings.

Zucchini slices were next.

Of course another layer of meat sauce and cottage cheese.

Kraft is the only brand I've found that makes fat-free cottage cheese.

Then add a layer of some shredded cheese (I went light with it, le sigh) and some bread crumbs for a lil crunch and texture.

#SnackHealthy

No comments:

Post a Comment