Monday, November 17, 2014

Just Because You're White, Doesn't Mean I Need You as My Savior.

WOMANIST

The worse type of racist is the one who falsely believes they're self-actualized, believes racism exists, and yet tries to "save" all people of color, we'll call this The Great White Hope. This is inspired by someone I come into contact with on a very frequent basis. 

  • The Great White Hope asserts herself into race dialogues among people of color and contrasts race issues to gender and sexuality issues. This is an easy slip up of most White people trying to understand racism. 
  • The Great White Hope goes out of her way to "support" people of color, but doing so in a patronizing baby manner. People of color need support from the powerful majority, not someone who babies us and treats us like children offering Band-aid solutions to problems.
  • The Great White Hope attempts to reach out to the most ethnic person in their presence (which just so happens to be me in this instance) and attempts to befriend them. I'm not your token to alleviate your  white privilege guilt.
  • The Great White Hope begins to tell seemingly normal stories about her life then inserts race into the convo for no apparent reason, but it's always apparent to the self-actualized person of color. "I was going over my retirement with my accountant, a Black woman, and she's just so patient with me." -_- Should we be happy that you have one of our kind working for you?
  • The Great White Hope will scrutinize everything about you as a person, then turn around the next day "OMG! Do you like ballet? Do you want to go see Misty Copeland?" even after you've let this person know you don't want to befriend them, because remember you are their prized token of "see! I'm not racist! Look at my ethnic friend!" Granted although I know nothing of ballet, I enjoy Misty Copeland as a woman, but I'm not going to be your shiny little Black girl to show off to the world. 
  • The Great White Hope will complain about the fun you're having with others in order to garner your sympathy because again her goal is for you to be her friend, regardless of whether the attention she receives is positive or negative.
  • The Great White Hope will equate any and EVERYTHING to race that applies to her life with the hopes that you'll understand where she's coming from "it's like if someone were to say the n-word around you". Because again, this "proves" she is racially conscious and therefore my ally.
At first I had no idea why The Great White Hope was placed into my life, but now I realize it's because I need to work on my anger some more. I don't dislike her because she believes she can save the world, I dislike her because she's conniving and manipulative in the manner by which she attempts to "save the world". 

No comments:

Post a Comment