Tuesday, June 17, 2014

It's Extremely Upsetting When...


I go to a restaurant and they've changed their menu!!! OMG! I want to punch a billy goat in the face. So Justyn and I went to Acre 121 in Columbia Heights this past Saturday, we went in like March and I had the best chicken and waffles I'd ever tasted in my life. The chicken was seasoned with various herbs, perfectly crunchy, and the waffle was a BACON waffle which came with a side of collard greens and a maple syrup that made you wanna pour it on Jesus's feet and wipe with your hair. I mean, THE BEST chicken and waffles I've had in my life. Not to mention we purchased a Gilt deal which made our 2 entrees with bottomless (pineapple, orange, grapefruit, cranberry) mimosas a mere $35 pre-paid, so the experience was just awesome. Brunch ends there at 3pm, so just like last time we went at 1pm (with another Gilt voucher), you know to ensure maximum alcohol intake. I look at the menu, as I had all week long (salivating) and it reflects my fear, the changed menu online was correct. wails The nerve, my chicken and waffles no longer came with greens, nor did it have bacon in it. It did however come with 2 pieces of chicken, but I was just so hurt, disappointed, dissatisfied, and any other "dis" word you can think of. I asked the waitress "what happened to the bacon in the waffle? No more greens?" and she looked me straight in the eye and said "yea, the greens only come with the dinner chicken & waffles now", me with puppy dog sad eyes looks back and says "but I got em last time...see what you can do" LAWD HAVE MERCY! She aint do nothing to hook a sister up. I was hurt. Le sigh They no longer even had the shrimp and grits, which Justyn didn't like anyway, but I mean dang! what if he did?!?! My word! The waitress said in the past 3 months she's been working there, they've changed the menu three times. Now I'm no restaurateur, but from what I've seen on Food Network about restaurants that's not a good look. There's a such thing as a seasonal menu, but that raises a red flag to me. Or maybe I'm just so pissed off I can't think straight.
Don't believe me, look at the difference...



I mean look at this drab sh*t! LOL! Only thing that stayed the same were the doggone plates. LOL! UGH! Granted, I touched the food before I could take a pic, this isn't how it was presented, but you get my dismay.

Now THIS is how it should have been. This was back in March. pours out mimosa for my memories
Justyn's shrimp & grits from March. I enjoyed them, the grits were nice and creamy, but it didn't look filling, which is likely why he needed some of my food that day.



Croissant French Toast that came with a side of bacon.

Now I'm not saying I won't go back for this awesome boozy brunch, cuz that's def not the case, especially since I have another Gilt voucher, but next time I will be broadening my horizons with the fried chicken & egg biscuit, bacon with a side of sweet potato fries.

Speaking of change, after our brunch we roamed around the city, went to Penn Social, played a couple games of Connect Four (say hello to the champion) and Fooseball (he got me on that. Ego.), then we dropped in Shake Shack. He never had it and he wanted fries, so you know me I'm pretty easily persuaded when it comes to food.

Cheese fries.
You see they no longer serve crinkle cut fries right?! Okay, now this is one change I am actually pleased about. As a fry connoisseur such as myself, I like that these fries are slim and slender because with each bite I get the perfect amount of salt, instead of mash of potato mixed in with the cheese. Slim fries always pick up the salt better. Also when I stab the fries with my fork I can pick up more than a few fries and get the perfect balance of the salt and cheese all at once.

Now for what I made, I had this realization that basically anything that would taste good in a grilled cheese will also taste good in a quesadilla. Hence the creation below...





Whole wheat torilla with walnut pesto (I made), spinach, tuna, and mixed cheeses. It was quite tasty. Some sauteed onions even would have been good on it, but I didn't have a yellow onion in the house at the time.





So while trolling scrolling through IG, I came across someone's hood mama who made sloppy joes. What made her hood you ask? She was twerkin on IG...she's 40...her son recorded her doin said twerkin...HOOD! Now anyways, I can't say I've had a sloppy joe other than when I was little and didn't know what taste buds were, but I decided to give it a whirl. I used ground chicken, tomato sauce, a little BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Yum Yum sauce (the sauce you get from the hibachi place, I found it in Walmart), and sauteed yellow onions with greens peppers. I fried up a couple baby potatoes and sprinkled them with salt and pepper and had my honey mustard dipping sauce on the side. It is quite tasty if I do say so myself. I was pleased :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment