Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"That looks crazy...diarrhea" French Toast Sandwich

This weekend while watching Food Network, I discovered a new (to me) show called The Sandwich King or something of that sort. It's a chef who only makes sandwiches. Normally I'm not into the cooking shows that show the step by step process with recipes and all that, I just like to see them eat the food (Guy Fieri) , whip something up out of nothing (Chopped, Top Chef, Guy's Grocery Games), and try new foods in different cities (Andrew Zimmern on Travel channel). I watched this show mainly because Justyn loves sandwiches and because of the 300 Sandwich girl trying to get an engagement ring. She makes good looking sandwiches too, her background story is just a little odd: She's making 300 sandwiches for her boyfriend with the hope that he'll propose to her after the 300th. He gives me Michael Jackson, closeted gay, vibes though shrug. To each their own.

Anyways, so the sandwich guy made a "Razzle dazzle french toast sandwich" which was French toast as the bread, raspberries, and some type of cream sauce he made and bacon. So I stole the idea and put my own spin on it, I made a french toast sandwich stuffed with cream cheese, strawberries, blackberries, and bacon.



Instructions:
French toast mix: 2 whole eggs beaten to death, with some milk until it turns a lighter shade of yellow, you don't need a lot of milk, I actually had heavy whipping cream and some organic milk so I used both. Then I added brown sugar, cinnamon, and flax seed. I throw flax seed into just about anything that can be mixed up. Then I took my whole wheat light (some new 40 calorie/slice bread I bought thanks to coupons) bread and dipped into the mixture, let the excess mixture drip off, then placed it onto my butter greased breakfast griddle. I had enough batter for 6 slices of bread. I added cinnamon after about the 3rd slice, because that's the first to go in the french toast batter.

Cream cheese filling: I just spooned out some 1/3 less fat cream cheese that I had in the fridge added a little butter because it wasn't the softened kind, threw it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and let it melt a little. Then I mixed it up really good. It probably would've melted without butter, or you could just buy softened cream cheese, but I used what I had in my fridge already. I spread the cream cheese onto only one side of the French toast bread mainly for caloric reasons and because I don't like too much softened textures in my food.

Fruit: I cut the strawberries into quarters and the blackberries into half sizes so they would be big enough yet still small enough for a good bite. After that, just layer on your bacon and add the other slice of french toast. When plated, I still put syrup on it and it was delicious. Afterwards, I slept for 5 hours. Itis.

I was told my sandwich looked "crazy" and also that it looked like it would give one "diarrhea" how so? Idk. But I used cream cheese because that's what they use to make stuffed french toast, so that's how I got that idea. I thought about using Greek yogurt, but Justyn said cream cheese sounded better, which I gladly obliged.


No comments:

Post a Comment