Friday, November 22, 2013

Soup and a Real G in the Kitchen.

Yesterday, I skipped the gym and decided to throw down in the kitchen. It was a Scandal late night and I was still sore from my workouts on Tuesday and Wednesday. I got the inspiration from this blogger I follow on Twitter, she posts recipes for GREAT hearty food all the time and I copy what I can. The other day she posted broccoli and cheddar soup w/ homemade croutons and bacons. Drool worthy, right? So that's what I made last night. It's actually pretty easy it just requires a lot of pots and pans which makes for an awful clean-up.

Soup 
So you just cook the broccoli in a fair amount of water, chopping off all the stems, then add the spinach in last because we all know it takes two seconds for spinach to cook. Add a little chicken bouillon seasoning, then put everything in a food processor or blender. I used my food processor because I'm less likely to accidentally shank myself during the clean up phase and I can get all the food out of the processor better than the blender because it's shorter and wider. Anyways, pulse it until everything is chopped up nicely then transfer back to pot with the remaining broccoli juice water. From there, you add your cheese, I did extra sharp cheddar and a cheddar jack mix. I didn't over do it on the cheese because I still wanted it to be somewhat healthy. Then I seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and parsley, and onion powder.
Croutons
Next up take you some thick cut bread hit up some olive oil in a pan until it's fry temperature hot. I would have used wheat bread if I had to buy some, but I didn't, this bread was free. I broke the bread up into about 1.5" pieces and threw it in the pan. The bread I had was already seasoned so I didn't need to do anything special. If it needed to be seasoned, I would use garlic and onion powder. I swished the pan around to make sure it got nice and crispy.
Bacon
Cut up 3 slices of bacon into tiny pieces and throw it in a warm skillet and cook it up until it's nice and crisp.
Final product

I made brussel sprouts and oven baked yams as well. I've never had them before, but I figured what the heck.

If you know me, you know that I L-O-V-E Groupon and Livingsocial. While browsing I found a Cajun place I'm going to try next week. So I decided I should probably prepare myself by looking at Youtube "How to eat crawfish" and I stumble upon this thuggish ruggish bone young fella: Black Cooking Swagg. He is hilarious to watch and he keeps it real, nothing fancy. This dag on boil he did looked drool worthy. I subscribed because he seems like he really loves food and we all know I love me some food. 

This post is dedicated to my Uncle, Chef Leon who passed away this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment