Tuesday, October 8, 2013

May I have the chicken biscuit please with a side of Internalized Racism?

How do I know Jesus loves the absolute crap outta me? THIS BLESSING BESTOWED UPON MY MAILBOX THIS EVENING!!! 
When I was young and tubby, my dad, before taking me to my babysitter's house before school, would take me to Burger King and let me get a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant meal with tots, orange juice, and...an extra croissant sandwich on the side which I ate all in one setting. Those were some of the happiest mornings of my life. LOL! But please know that I will be getting the HEFTIEST Chic-fil-A sandwich on the menu with this thing...I'm thinking the multigrain bagel with egg, cheese, and bacon...hell! maybe chicken! It's free!

WOMANIST
Monday, I was leaving work and in the car preparing for my 1.5 hour commute home. There's an intersection that involves crossing a median and oncoming traffic on both ends, so I'm driving as I usually do and I don't see this Black Mercedes and the driver honks at me. A fault of my own. I apologize in my car to the woman (as if she can hear me) and keep driving. Next, I get to the line of a traffic light, mind you it's raining outside. As I'm waiting at the light, a White woman walks up to my car, I pause for 3 seconds, look at her and think "maybe she needs directions, I hope not because I probably won't know what to tell her" but I proceed to roll down my window anyway. She looks at me and says "you need to drive more careful, you almost hit me and my two kids back there". Every curse word in my brain came to mind, but I said "I SAID I WAS SORRY. BYE!" and rolled up my window. 
I don't know what made this woman believe it was okay to walk up to a stranger's car in the rain and give them a piece of her mind, but she had to be the stupidest (expletive) I've ever seen in my life. One may attribute this to privilege, but then I have to question myself. What made me believe it was safe to roll down my window for her? In those short 3 seconds I also told myself "she's a White woman, she won't be robbing me or anything" and in that short amount of time, my own internal racism crept up on me like a thief robbing me of my own internal cues. I am left wondering, if while she was standing in the rain examining who was in the car and she seen a White male/female, would she have done the same?
To the woman who walked up on me while in my car, I thank you for reminding me that no one is to be trusted, especially White women approaching your car slowly in the rain. 

R.I.P. Trayvon Martin
Sometimes it's the other who reminds you of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment