Monday, January 13, 2014

"I thought your blog was just going to be about food"

Yea, me too. Haha! I didn't realize I was going to be talking about race so much, but I guess that's why I called my blog "The Domesticated Womanist". If you've noticed I've been separating the topics by "womanist" and "domesticated" as it fits. So let this entry begin...

DOMESTICATED

Let's start backwards with dinner because it inspired my breakfast ideas...
Sweet potato loaded with chili (ground turkey, tomato paste, cup of water, yellow sweet grape tomatoes, green peppers, black beans, hot sauce, and season to taste) with greek yogurt and banana peppers. Please try not to judge my random baked egg roll, I had filling left that I needed to use. Alongside a spinach salad with my usual toppings. 
Whole Foods cheeses. Pretty darn expensive, but AMAZING! I was going for a gourmet grilled "Adult Grilled Cheese" so I was willing to pay the price for such. I've seen gouda on Food Network more than enough times and the other cheeses were available for tastings, so I knew what I was getting myself into. See the one on the bottom is $16.99/lb? faints All 3 are soft meltable cheeses. I also studied cheeses on Whole Foods's website here prior to buying, so I knew what I was looking for.
This is the product. I made 3 grilled cheeses in total for myself and Justyn. All 3 were a mixture of the 3 cheeses, two had almonds and honey on it, and the last one had thinly sliced pears on it. Questionable to you? Expand your palette ;) Salts and sweets mix super well together...like the sweet potato and chili above. 
Bottom: Chasin' Tails in Arlington, VA. This piece of Heaven is gator bites with cajun fries with some REALLY good sauce.
Top: Gumbo. I've only had gumbo once before and I'm telling you this stuff right here is the truth.
Right: 2lbs of shrimp, andouille sausage, corn, and potatoes
Head on. Get with the program.

This, I plan on cooking this week. I'm a stickler for texture with my food, so I'm thinking I'll marinate it, then make a crust and bake it to have a "fried" texture. I decided to give it a whirl because the last time I went to Chipotle they let me do a tasting of their tofu and it was MUY DELICIOSO! 
Whole wheat bagel with fat free cream cheese.
Left: Almonds and honey. See what I did there?
Right: Blackberries
Turkey bacon, same bagel situation, egg whites with some of the fancy cheese, and sweet potato hash. YES LAWD! FOR THE REST OF OUR DAYS! 
You jealous of my taste buds or nah?

No comments:

Post a Comment